The WVSPA Fall 2020 Conference will be held virtually due to the pandemic. As part of the conference lineup, several webinars have been planned! The second pre-recorded webinar will be held on October 19, 2020 from 1:00-4:00 p.m.! For this webinar, WVSPA is pleased to partner with Kids, Inc. to host Dr. Steven Feifer for a presentation titled "Neuropsychology of Trauma: How to Develop a Trauma Informed School".
This workshop will explore the neural underpinnings of stress, trauma, and emotional dysfunction in children and its relative impact upon learning. Environmental deprivation, poverty, childhood abuse, witnessing violence, and now pandemics can impact both cognitive and social-emotional development in children. There will be a discussion on five steps that schools can take to become “trauma-informed”, in order to better meet the diverse needs of all learners. Schools can enhance emotional wellness through early prevention efforts, appropriate assessment and screening techniques, and an improved school climate to foster emotional growth for all children. Targeted assessment strategies, specific classroom accommodations, and detailed school-based interventions will be presented for at-risk students. Learning objectives include:
- Discuss the prevalence of trauma and stress for school aged children, as well as the various sources from which trauma can occur.
- Explore key brain regions that are impacted when students experience trauma, and the subsequent effect on academic and social skills’ development.
- Review five essential steps toward the development of a “trauma informed” school.
- Review various trauma screening tools and specific assessment techniques in order to conduct a “trauma-informed” evaluation.
- Discuss specific classroom accommodations along with school-wide interventions, and key coping strategies to induce a more positive school climate for all students.
Participants will earn 3 CE hours for this presentation! As an added bonus, a live Q&A session will be held on November 10, 2020 from 2:00-3:00 p.m. where you will be able to interact and ask Dr. Feifer any questions you may have regarding the training!
If you are not able to join the webinar on the first day, no worries! You have three months to watch the webinar and complete the post-test/evaluation to receive the CE documentation!
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST REGISTER BY OCTOBER 16TH AT NOON!
Fall Conference - Trauma Webinar.pdf